Yeast infections are caused by the loss of friendly bacteria in the body
This friendly bacteria fights off the overgrowth of Candida that always exists in the body, but usually in small amounts. Once out of balance, the Candida fungus, which was harmless in moderate levels, overtakes the friendly bacteria and runs amok, creating yeast infection symptoms like a white coating on the tongue, white discharge from the vagina or inflamed, itchy rashes anywhere on the skin.
This process of overwhelming yeast growing within the body can be caused by a variety of factors, such as taking certain medications or coming into contact with someone who has a yeast infection (through bodily fluid or airborne Candida spores). Many people with compromised immune systems, such as those with cancer, diabetes or AIDS or who are hospitalized for chronic illnesses or surgery, are at a higher risk of developing a yeast infection.
You can contract a yeast infection through exchanging fluids with another person, such as through sharing food, kissing or intercourse. Babies can sometimes get a yeast infection from their mothers through breast feeding and being in close proximity.
Very often, if you take certain antibiotics to stave off a medical condition, it will likely kill off the friendly flora bacteria in your body that keep Candida under control. The Candida overtakes the remaining bacteria and grows out of control. If your immune system is not strong enough to fight back against the Candida, you will wind up with a yeast infection of varying degrees, depending on the strength of your immune system.
Natural remedies to cure yeast infections
• Black walnut husk.
Juglone, the active ingredient in black walnut, has been shown to be an effective anti-fungal agent. You can find the extract in supplement form or included as an ingredient in candida supplement remedies.
This is a proven natural anti-fungal agent that can quickly kill off excess yeast, and it also contains anti-inflammatory properties and boosts overall health. You can eat a clove or two of fresh garlic daily or take up to 900 mg of garlic supplements a day. Keep in mind, however, that garlic has a blood-thinning effect, so your doctor may want to ensure that it doesn’t interfere with other medications you may be taking.
• Cat’s claw.
This herb is known to help improve your immune system and white blood cell count, which is important when fighting off a yeast infection. Follow the bottle recommendations for taking cat’s claw capsules, which usually recommend one to two 1 gram capsules three times a day. Pregnant women should avoid cat’s claw. Also, be aware that cat’s claw has blood thinning properties.
• Caprylic acid.Found in coconut oil, this acid is a powerful anti-fungal that kills yeast cells. It’s especially effective when combined with other anti-fungals, such as grapefruit seed extract, garlic and oregano oil. You can either consume a few tablespoons of coconut oil daily or take caprylic acid in 600 mg capsules.
• Oregano oil. This is a powerful anti-fungal supplement because candida will not build up a resistance to it as it does with other anti-fungal treatments. Also, oregano oil contains antivirals and antibiotics that help the body to recover, as well as anti-inflammatory properties to assist in maintaining good health. You can take oregano oil in liquid form by adding a few drops to water twice a day. Or take soft gel tabs twice a day.
Some other home remedies
You may find relief of the itching and discomfort of a yeast infection by applying certain home remedies, such as:
• Insert a garlic clove or an all-natural garlic gel tab into your vagina. Garlic kills yeast quickly. You can also take garlic supplements to reduce the yeast from the inside out.
• Vinegar has been touted as a yeast killer, but you do not want to apply it directly to your skin, as it will be quite painful. Instead, add a few drops to your topical vaginal yeast medication. Some people suggest adding vinegar to your bath water, but taking a bath may cause your yeast infection to linger. Instead, add some vinegar to water and rinse your genitals with the mixture. Dry your skin completely.
• Applying Mediterranean oregano oil to affected skin, including the penis, may improve a yeast infection because it attacks the center of the yeast cell, which causes it to die. Be sure to dilute oregano oil with another oil (such as olive oil) because it can burn the skin when used at full strength.